Tuesday, 7 June 2011

E3 (More like Eee...)

I promised myself I wouldn't get all nerdragey and bitch and moan about how disappointing E3 was, but as a friend over at Derion.org posted, Microsoft/Xbox REALLY dropped the ball.

I can understand when a company bring out a new product, their first priority is advertising it and giving it as much publicity as possible. But pretty much every single thing that Microsoft brought to the table was pushed as "Kinect compatible". Now I'm sure there are people out there who may actually find this an advance in gaming and the industry in general, but to me, Kinect (aswell as Playstation Move) is extremely gimmicky. I have it placed up there with the EyeToy for the PS2 etc.
Pushing something so gimmicky is a let down, in my eyes. Maybe in a money-making point of view, they're trying to make Kinect compatible with as much as possible in hope of increasing sales, but I just don't see it happening. But who am I other than a 19 year old guy writing blogs on the interwebs.

The other thing that was pushed by Xbox and Microsoft was Internet Streaming such as Youtube and Hulu being implemented into the console. Big fucking whoop. Playstation and Sony have been offering an entire browser alongside built in iPlayer etc. since their consoles release, alongside much more. And the big difference here is that Sony never made you pay for it. Of course this just goes back to "Xbox Live isn't free, PSN is!", but that's entirely it in my eyes. You're offering something for a price (the standard Xbox Live price) which is already being given free by your rival company.

Finish the fight... again...
And finally, the big news. What people thought would NEVER happen.
You fucking kidding bro? Seriously? HALO 4!? Shit, no one saw that coming.
I kid. Anyone who thought the Halo francise was finished are idiots. Halo is Microsoft's way of saying "We want your money, and we no what sells." Halo has been making money for Microsoft since the first release and to not continue rolling with it would be an idiotic move on Microsoft's part. But why make it such big news. Woo, same old shit, different backdrop.

Dear Xbox and Microsoft,
Call me back when you've got something interesting or new to offer me.
Until then, we're done. Thank you and goodnight.


2 comments:

  1. Event should have been renamed eKinect or Kinect3 eheheheh. Also the amount of kids games that microsoft announced was /fail, not to mention how dumbed down the kinect games looked, they look so piss easy it's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's what I mean by gimmicky. They look like EyeToy games are something to that extent. Y'know like mini-games for the Wii? Games that have a life-span of like... 1 day... if you have 4 people playing? Yeah.

    ReplyDelete